«2013 Annual Report breakthrough technologies and services focused on Dear Fellow Shareholders, addressing specific customer and market needs. Several ...»
We provide early detection for genetic disorders from pre-conception to early childhood, as well as digital x-ray flat panel detectors and infectious disease testing for the diagnostics market. Our screening products are designed to provide early and accurate insights into the health of expectant mothers during pregnancy and into the health of their newborns. Our instruments, reagents and software test and screen for disorders and diseases, including Down syndrome, infertility and various metabolic conditions. Our digital x-ray flat panel detectors are used within x-ray imaging systems to allow physicians to make fast and accurate diagnoses of conditions ranging from broken bones to reduced blood flow in vascular systems. In addition, our digital x-ray flat panel detectors are used within oncology radiation therapy systems to support more accurate tumor treatment.
In the research market, we provide a broad suite of solutions including reagents, liquid handling and detection and imaging technologies that enable researchers to improve the drug discovery process. These products, solutions and services enable pharmaceutical companies to create better therapeutics by helping to bring products to market faster and more efficiently. Our research portfolio includes a wide range of systems consisting of instrumentation for automation and detection solutions, in vitro and in vivo imaging and analysis hardware and software, plus a portfolio of consumable products, including drug discovery and research reagents.
We sell our research solutions to pharmaceutical, biotechnology and academic research customers globally.
Our principal products for Human Health applications include the following:
The DELFIA® Xpress screening platform, which is a complete solution for prenatal screening, and • includes a fast, continuous loading system supported by kits for both first and second trimester analyses, and clinically validated LifeCycle™ software. A Placental Growth Factor assay is used to screen pregnant women for early-onset pre-eclampsia.
• The NeoGram™ MS/MS AAAC in vitro diagnostic kit, which is used to support detection of metabolic disorders in newborns by tandem mass spectrometry.
• The NeoBase™ Non-derivatized MS/MS kit, which analyzes newborn blood samples for measurement of amino acids and other metabolic analytes for specific diseases.
The GSP® Neonatal hTSH, T4 17μ-OHP, GALT IRT and BTD kits, which are used for screening • congenital neonatal conditions from a drop of blood.
The Specimen Gate® informatics data management solution, which is designed specifically for newborn • screening laboratories.
• The First Trimester Screen|Fß™ screening protocol, which is used to provide a first trimester prenatal aneuploidy screening service by combining ultrasound measurement of the fluid accumulation behind the neck of the fetus with maternal serum markers. It is designed to assess patient-specific risk for fetal Down syndrome, trisomy 18 and trisomy 13.
• Amorphous silicon digital x-ray flat panel detectors, which contain an enabling technology for digital x-ray imaging that replaces film and produces improved image resolution and diagnostic capability in applications such as radiography, cardiology, angiography and cancer treatments.
The prenatal BACs-on-Beads® (“BoBs®”) in vitro diagnostic (“IVD”) assay for rapid prenatal testing of • multiple genetic diseases and chromosomal abnormalities, which is the first IVD product from the BoBs® proprietary multiplexed bead-based technology product family.
ViaCord® Umbilical cord tissue stem cell banking services for the banking of stem cells harvested from • umbilical cord tissue for potential therapeutic application.
• Signature Precision Panel™ prenatal and newborn tests, which are used to rapidly screen for aneuploidies of chromosomes 13, 18, 21, X and Y, as well as 20 severe microdeletion/duplication syndromes during pregnancy. Our newborn testing and diagnostics service portfolio was also expanded to include a panel to screen for six Lysosomal Storage Disorders. The panel tests for Krabbe disease, Gaucher’s disease, Niemann-Pick disease (Type A and Type B), Pompe disease, Fabry disease and MPS 1.
Oncology testing services utilizing OncoChip® microarray technology for early diagnoses of • hematological malignancies.
• The XRD™ family of amorphous silicon digital x-ray flat panel detectors, which provide imaging for medical applications such as radiation therapy and veterinary imaging as well as industrial imaging applications including pipeline inspection, manufacturing inspection, PCB inspection and 3D Cone Beam CT.
The Dexela® family of CMOS digital x-ray flat panel detectors, which provide imaging for • mammography, dental, and industrial imaging applications such as PCB inspection and 3D Cone Beam CT.
Radiometric detection solutions, including over 1,100 NEN® radiochemicals, the Tri-carb® and • MicroBeta2® families of liquid scintillation counters, which are used for beta, gamma and luminescence counting in microplate formats utilized in research, environmental and drug discovery applications.
The Opera® high content screening system and Operetta® high content imaging system, which are used • to automate imaging and analysis for cell-based assays for drug discovery and basic cellular science research laboratories.
• The Columbus™ image data storage and analysis system, which provides a single solution to the storage and analysis of high content data from any major high content screening system helping to visualize and analyze high content images via the Internet.
The UltraVIEW® VoX™ 3D live cell imaging system, which is a high-resolution, high speed, confocal • imaging system that allows for the observation and measurement of cellular and molecular processes in real time. Volocity® 6.0 3D image analysis software allows scientists to understand intracellular and intercellular relationships for 3D data visualization, publication, restoration and analysis of images from a range of fluorescence microscopy and high content image systems.
The EnVision® Multilabel Plate Reader and EnSpire® Multimode Plate Reader, which are targeted • towards a wide range of high-throughput screening applications, including those using AlphaLISA® and/or AlphaScreen® technology. The EnSpire reader has the option of Corning® Epic® label-free technology providing more physiologically relevant data for the identification of new therapeutic targets.
A wide range of homogeneous biochemical and cellular assay reagents, including LANCE® Ultra™ and • Alpha Technology™ assay platforms, which are used for drug discovery targets such as G-protein coupled receptors (“GPCR”), kinases, antibodies and epigenetic modification enzymes.
• A broad portfolio of recombinant GPCR and Ion Channel cell lines, including over 300 products and 120 ready-to-use frozen cell lines for a wide range of disease areas.
The AlphaLISA® research assays, including over 100 no-wash biomarker kits for both biotherapeutics • and small molecule development in a variety of therapeutic areas including cancer, neurodegeneration and virology.
• TSA™ Plus biotin kits, which can increase sensitivity of histochemistry and cytochemistry as much as 10 to 20 times.
In vivo imaging technologies for preclinical research, including the IVIS® Spectrum™ series and the • FMT® series for 3D imaging, the IVIS® Lumina™ series for 2D imaging, and the Quantum FX microCT. These technologies are designed to provide for non-invasive longitudinal monitoring of disease progression, cell trafficking and gene expression patterns in living animals and are complemented by a broad portfolio of fluorescent and bioluminescent in vivo imaging reagents that can be useful for identifying, characterizing and quantifying a range of disease biomarkers and therapeutic efficacy in living animal models.
LapChip® for molecular diagnostics in clinical research laboratories, which uses microfluidic • technology to perform reproducible, high-resolution, electrophoretic separations for analyzing multiplex polymerase chain reaction products for molecular biology applications.
Next-generation sequencing tools including LabChip® fractionation and separation systems, Sciclone®, • Zephyr® and JANUS® automated liquid handling workstations and Geospiza® data analysis program.
• A wide reagent portfolio including the HCA ImagAmp™ reagent kit for high content screening and cellular analysis applications, which is used in a variety of research areas including cell differentiation, cell toxicity, programmed cell death, drug discovery, protein expression and signaling pathway analysis.
• An expanded epigenetic detection reagents portfolio specifically validated for drug discovery and life sciences research covering nine different histone marks, as well as p53, with more than 15 validated in vitro and cell-based assays to help researchers discover novel drug compounds directed against several epigenetic targets.
The Vectra® 2 automated slide imaging system, which is an integrated solution to advance the • identification and validation of new drug targets to improve the assessment of drug response.
• The Western Lighting ECL Pro™ non-radioactive light-emitting system, which detects proteins immobilized on a membrane in Western blots.
The cell::explorer® and plate::explorer® automated workstations, which allow integration of multiple • laboratory instrumentation using a centralized robotic interface, allowing higher throughput and turnkey-application focused solutions.
Informatics platforms including Ensemble® for Chemistry™, Ensemble® for Biology™, Ensemble® for • QA/QC, iLab™, ChemDraw®, ChemBioOffice® and Labworks® which are integrated suites that focus on the complex and varied needs of understanding and managing data for productivity and collaboration.
Licensing for the exclusive, worldwide rights to the TIBCO® Spotfire® software platform in certain • scientific research and development markets through an exclusive strategic relationship with TIBCO Software, Inc.
• Asset Genius™, an informatics-based business intelligence solution, which assists laboratories in deploying, utilizing and managing laboratory assets throughout their lifecycle.
• An expanded portfolio of molecular infectious disease screening technologies for blood bank and clinical laboratory settings in China. The tools include a qualitative 3-in-1 assay for the detection of hepatitis B, hepatitis C and HIV, and assays for chlamydia trachomatis and neisseria gonorrhoeae.
Significant new products introduced or acquired for Human Health applications in fiscal year 2013 include
An expanded portfolio of medical x-ray detectors, including the Dexela® CMOS Cardiac detector, the • XRpad™ cassette sized Radiography detector and the XRD™ combined Radiography & Fluoroscopy detector.
• A novel PCR-based assay for quantification of trinucleotide repeats used to detect normal, intermediate, pre- and full mutations associated with Fragile X.
• The EnLite™ Neonatal TREC™ System, a screening test for Severe Combined Immunodeficiency, which consists of EnLite™ Neonatal TREC™ reagent kits, the Victor EnLite™ instrument and EnLite™ Workstation software.
Geospiza GeneSifter® Analysis Edition, an integrated informatics platform for the visualization and • analysis from sample to results of microarray and next-generation sequencing data.
Expanded assay kits utilizing AlphaLISA® technology in the area of metabolic research and for the • development and safety testing of biotherapeutic drugs.
The IVIS® Lumina™ Series III which provides an expandable, sensitive imaging system for both • fluorescent and bioluminescent preclinical in vivo imaging.
• RediFect™ lentiviral tools to create stably transfected cells to monitor tumor growth, track primary or stem cells in vivo and various other applications using IVIS in vivo imaging systems.